So welcome to V4
I am updating the Unofficial Getting Started Guide for V4 over the holidays. It’s not finished, but the first sections are done. Many fine cats!
Bring back the tag cloud
People feel rather strongly about this. Update: The tag cloud appears to be coming back, although we don’t yet know in what form.
ForestHippy’s GetSatisfaction Page
One of the most helpful stumblers who gives of his time and expertise to make the SU experience better for everyone. Kind of makes me ashamed to be a top stumbler, actually.
ForestHippy’s Visitor Icon script for V4
(Needs Firefox and Greasemonkey)
Threads I’m Following in GetSatisfaction
GetSatisfaction is the new interface that SU is using to track and handle feedback on the new V4 interface. These are the threads I’m following. You might find them interesting too.
- Don’t Merge Established Threads
SU Beta is resizing images to fit, overriding any settings in the stumbler’s review so my pages still look best in the old interface: Switch to see it correctly. Yes, you can switch back. If you think you’ll be switching back and forth often, drag this link to your toolbar.
What’s in the New Beta…. or not
Update: There is now a New Stumbleupon FAQ (8 October 2009)
Here’s a lesson I wish the powers that be would learn: When there’s no information provided, people make up their own. Despite that the very first line of this article is wrong (gmc made the announcement, not Geoff), the blog I’m reviewing here (Search Engine Journal) has been accepted as the definitive word on the new beta (v4) and this person is just a user like the rest of us. You can get answers from the staff here and you can try out the new beta by following the instructions here.
Yes, it sure does look different. But it’s a Beta, that means it’s not set in stone. Beta is a development stage. So… Not everything works.
To allay some fears, I *think* the following are true but I don’t work for SU either:
I think colors will be coming back. Not everyone will have white. (I like white and will keep white, so for those of you who think it’s so damn ugly as you say…)
The scripts for the backgrounds and fancy dancing *will* be supported.
*My* understanding is that friends are not going away, just the term friends which has caused a lot of upset. We’ll have:
– subscriptions that show up in What’s New (currently called “Discover” in Beta)
– mutual subscriptions that show up in What’s New (currently called discover in Beta)
– mutual subscriptions with people you trust to send you things that interest you directly via the Stumble button
– I don’t think you’ll be able to have friends you aren’t subscribed to so that is lost functionality. However, there’s the possibility of some link-in to Facebook and Twitter so you can share content that way. Also, I’m going to lobby ForestHippy for a Greasemonkey script that shows new posts by friends by topic when the dust settles. No guarantees he’ll do it, of course.
Where to get your Beta questions answered.
Or just ask in the Help Forum. I’m sure Monica would be delighted to help you on a one-on-one basis.
Really, it’s a just new interface with most of the same functionality that we’re used to, some renaming of terms, and a few nifty new features. It just takes a little getting used to.
Are you interested in trying out the new interface?
It’s still in Beta. That means: Not everything works.
If you would like to give the new interface a try, do this:
- Go to the Beta group.
- Click on Join. Nothing happens; this is expected.
- Go back to Your Home. Click on Preferences.
- On the right-hand side of your Preferences page is the option to try out the Beta influence, close your eyes and click.
There, you should see the new interface. To go back:
- Click on Settings from your Favorites. The link to return to the Versioná3 interface appears on the right side.
Report bugs, problems, and ask questions here: Get Satisfaction
Time to post a cat and some bad poetry for my friends before I’m off to do errands:
- I’m a top stumbler,
oh yes I am.
I post cats and bad poems
and thumbs up all I can.
I click what I like
and I likes a lot.
My avi’s a vamp
cuz them drunks like it hot.
My “friends” make oblique comments
but I’m so dense I miss it.
I sit on my fat ass
but you know… they can kiss it.